Internet Competitive Intelligence
by Sally Strackbein
One of my clients asked me to help her launch an Internet e-commerce venture - a great way to get new customers and sell more products. When I asked her how similar companies were getting new customers,
she didn't know. She's typical. Most business owners have no idea what their competitors are doing to get business.
Do you know what your competitors are doing? The Internet is a free way to quickly see what other businesses like yours are doing to get more customers or get more business from current customers.
Conduct your research in the comfort of your home or office. Competitive intelligence is not spying! It is not a numbers game. It is a way to analyze your market to make better business decisions.
While Internet research is only one small part of competitive intelligence, it's a great place to start.
Inspect your local competitors' websites. Start with competitors you know. After that, use your favorite search engine or directory.
- Search for the key words and phrases that describe your business.
- Include your location in the search criteria.
- Enclose phrases in quotation marks and put a plus sign (+) in front of each phrase, e.g. +"competitive intelligence" +Herndon
- Look at each website at the top of the list.
- Visit each page on their site.
- How do they present their products and services?
- What benefits do they list?
- What special offers do you see?
Just like people, every business has a unique personality. Use competitive intelligence to improve the personality of your business.
After you examine your local competition, search again without the location. Look at other businesses similar to yours anywhere in the world.
- How are the products and services they offer different from yours?
- Let your imagination run free.
- What new and exciting spin can you put on how you attract and keep customers?
- Why should they do business with you?
- How can you make your customers feel special?
- What unique value can you offer?
When you tell the world what makes your business unique, you draw the very customers who need you. Everyone wins!
copyright © Sally Strackbein.
Permission is granted to reprint this article in your newsletter or magazine as long as the following information is included:
"Sally Strackbein is a coach, speaker and author.
To find out more about her programs and services,
visit www.ConnectionExperts.com or call 703-262-0361."